Home

Monday, July 06, 2015

Things that are Remembering Family...

A while ago I was out on my 8 mile run on the Saturday before Memorial Day. As I ran past Orem Cemetery, I kept thinking about my Grandparents, and how I missed them. I didn't ever get the chance to meet the Grandma that I'm named after, Theodora.

During my run I kept wishing that I could have been able to go to their grave and take pictures with their grave on Memorial Day. I've been there several times before, but I really wanted to be at the grave and show my love to them. I know they know that I love them, but I just felt like that would be the closest that I could get to them.

I'm not sure where my mom's parents are buried. My dad's parents, Granddaddy Alexx and Grandma Ted are buried in Arlington Cemetery. The last time I was able to see their grave was with Chase in 2008, he had never been to Arlington Cemetery before. I was excited for him to see their graves and to experience Arlington - because it is so peaceful.

It's always very humbling there. I can't believe how many have died for our country, and I'm so thankful for them, and those that are still serving for all of us to be able to live in a free country.

Thousands of graves in Arlington

Since both my grandparents chose to be cremated, this is all that there is for their grave. 

As I have gotten older I have enjoyed learning about my families history and hearing funny stories from their time. I think the best one is called "The Spite Fence" that my great Aunt enacted for us while we were visiting family at the beach 2 years ago.

I only have a few pictures of my Grandmother - she was very pretty! I think all the Higgins' women were dolls! :)

The Higgins' Family

My Grandparents on their Wedding Day. 

Anyways, enough of my ramblings I just wanted to say that I'm so thankful for my family and all that they have done for me, my cousins, parents and siblings. I seriously love learning about my family and can't wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment