Home

Saturday, October 08, 2011

The Hurley and the Bump, Bite and Stitches

These past 2 months have been crazy! Chase and I have been to the Vet every single week for the past month (going on 2 months). All for different reasons. I sometimes feel as if something is telling us to not do something, because we have spent a lot of money on our poor Hurley.

Week 1
We first went to take him because 1. He needed his shots updated and 2. He kept shaking his head, but it wasn't his normal shake off, and he had weird bumps on his ears.

Conclusion: The Vet said that something had bitten his ears, either mites or mosquitoes, or something else. They put him on antibiotics and gave him some antibiotic cream for his ears.

Week 2
It was Wednesday and I started noticing something on his belly it started getting bigger, and I was concerned. I went onto our Vet's website and you can ask questions. So I asked a question and then sent some pictures. Here's what I sent:

Photobucket


Photobucket


On Thursday the vets office said to bring him in. So I called and made an appointment for the next afternoon since I would be at Swiss Days. We also wanted to take him in because his anal glands were acting up and we had the vet express them the week before.

Conclusion: The Vet said that it could be a hernia or something more extreme. He also said to put some of the antibiotic ointment that we had for Hurley's ears on the sore and hope that it decreases. The vet also said to come back next week for a recheck on the ears and also on his tummy, and on his anal glands.

Week 3

We took Hurley back in for a recheck. Nothing new was present and no signs of the ear mites coming back.

Conclusion: looking better, but keep an eye on things. They also showed me how to do an internal anal gland expression (TMI?). Lets just say it really really really really stunk in that exam room. :( and poor Hurley wanted to be out the door quick. He really hates having his anal glands expressed.

Week 4

Tuesday I decided to give Hurley a haircut (you know where this is going to lead right?...) I wanted to clean up his feet and just make him look comfortable before it starts getting colder. I was almost finished and noticed I missed a spot near his back right leg. I tried getting to it, and nicked him REALLY bad. It seriously looked like there was a hole in his skin. The kind of hole where you can stick your finger in it. Well I wanted to wait until Chase got home to determine if we should take him to the vet or let it heal on its own. Wednesday morning comes and both Chase and I look at it, and sure enough it looks like it's getting infected. So I called the vet and set up an appointment for the following day (Thursday) because I wanted Chase to come with me.

Conclusion: So we take him in, and sure enough the vet assistant looked at the hole and asked if Hurley had eaten or had anything to drink, nope. So they gave us an estimate on how much it will cost to sedate him and stitch him up. Seriously?! So they were going to have to reopen the site and then stitch it back up. Then he would need to take some anti-inflammatory medicine, and another round of antibiotics. He can't jump on anything (seriously? you're talking about our dog Hurley the one that likes to jump and sniff and play- A LOT) can't take the stairs and shouldn't run for 2 weeks. Here's some after pictures of his stitches:

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


I was talking to Chase after it happened and said man that was a $300 mistake. He told me not to think like that and he knew that it was an accident, and doesn't want me to feel bad. Honestly I do feel bad! Hurley has gone through so much these past few weeks, and he's never gonna wanna go to the vet again.

He is however very popular with the vet and vet assistants. After his surgery he still did his newest trick, "Cover".

All I have to say is there better be a dang good reason for all of this to happen. Cause man my wallet sure feels pretty empty! :(

Photobucket
Yes Hurley is laying down with his head on Chase's lap with a paw up. We still love our goggie! :)

Week 5

Took Hurley in for a recheck for his stitches. Everything looked good but the vet wanted to wait until the following week to remove stitches. Just to be safe. Showed the vet a little bump that Hurley had on his back. The vet said it might be a cyst, nothing to really worry about unless it keeps getting bigger.

Week 6

Took Hurley in to get stitches removed! YAY! Hopefully this will be the last for Hurley until he gets his shots next spring.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Hurley! Hopefully he's on the upswing now though! Vet bills sure add up quickly huh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor dog. Ugh that sucks! Vet bills add up way too fast, and it's not like there is insurance to help you pay for it!I hope you don't have to go back again.

    ReplyDelete