Home

Friday, June 25, 2010

A big decision...

After several weeks (or maybe even months) of thinking I have chosen to take a new path. I have always wanted to become a nurse. It has kind of flip flopped over the years between a nurse, a nurse midwife, a chiropractor, a massage therapist, but I always was led back to becoming a nurse. After becoming a Medical Assistant and doing an externship at New Beginnings Clinic in Orem, I thought it would be fun to become a certified nurse midwife. Well I didn't realize how competitive getting into a nursing program in Utah or Idaho is. One of the benefits that I thought if by being a nurse is working four 12 hour shifts, and how easy it is to work and raise a family. I'm sure that's what a bunch of other women are thinking who are pursuing that career option. There are probably more benefits to being a nurse that I have not named.

Chase is totally fine and very supportive with me switching majors to Exercise Science. I have looked into both Utah Valley University and Brigham Young University's program, but am further along with UVU's program. My friend Sarah switched over to the Exercise Science Program last fall and will be done by next spring. Doesn't that sound way more exciting? I have been weighing my options of what I will do after I get my degree and I think for now I will take the Physical Therapy Assistant test and work in a Physical Therapy Clinic. The major thing now is I will be graduated possibly by the end of next year, instead of saying that it will be 4 more years from getting into the nursing program. Anyways that's my big decision and I have been thinking about it for a long time and I feel really good about it.

Other news is I'm done with Physiology at BYU. It by far was a LOT better than taking it at UVU. For some reason UVU's anatomy and physiology program is the hardest in the state (from what I've been told, and seen by having to retake it). Another thing that I think really helps with BYU's science classes is that they have TA's that will RETEACH you ANYTHING you are struggling with. Instead of having a teacher tell me that none of the TA's could reteach me anything, so there goes my help for getting a better grade and being able to understand anatomy. I think the main benefit from taking it at BYU rather than UVU is that there is a WAY different feeling being there where the church is present and the spirit is felt rather than UVU where none of that is present only in the institute building.

3 comments:

  1. Tedi, I am so super excited for you! You will do great in that field. I also think being a Physical Therapist would be a good job. It would be very rewarding. And knowing your schooling has an end feels great. Nursing Programs in Utah are so much harder than anywhere else, it kinda ridiculous. Congrats on your new path and good luck with everything! I am excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to rain on your parade. But if I'm not mistaken, in order to take the test and become licensed you have to take PTA classes from an accredited program. It isn't as easy as it seems. I think this is an awesome career choice! ! I love being a PTA and it allows me to be a mom and successful in the workforce. I wish you luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Heather! I'll look into it more!

    ReplyDelete