Home

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Budget

So Chase and I started following this book that Dave Ramsey wrote. Well in the book he tells you to start pulling out money to use for cash to buy things you need. Pretty much everything besides bills. Which is called the envelope system. It has worked for us for quite a few months. Here's what I did before I made the new one I have now.
This is what it was before. I just taped lots of envelopes together to cardboard ends. It was quite the project. 
Another angle of it. I had ribbon around it for a tie stapled to the cardboard outer part. Then it ripped so for me to keep it together I just used a rubberband. 
This is it afterwards. I didn't want to have a bunch of them so I put many things in one. I'm finally being able to keep all the money together. Yes I did stitch the lettering on. It took me a few days to get this done, and I'm not too happy with how it turned out, but I can always try again. I have a big pouch that I put all of them in. 

It will save me time and money now. :) I'm super happy that I have them. Let me just say we have not gone over budget since sometime last year because of doing it this way. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to answer them about the envelope system. Or if you want help setting up a budget I'm more than happy to help there too.

2 comments:

*JandH* said...

budget, good idea! I like the envelope system. what is the name of this book??

Tedi said...

It's called Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. He also has a radio talk show that is on M-F 7-10pm on 105.7. Pretty good stuff.