Home

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

St. George Retreat

So this last weekend sure was a busy one. As part of my job, I was hired by the Provo High School Ballroom Dance Team to film them all year long at most of their activities. This included their yearly retreat. This year they went down to St. George for their fall break. I took my lovely wife, Tedi, with me.

She was worried that it wasn't going to be any fun, and that all the kids were going to get on her nerves. Well, we proved her wrong ;-). We left Friday morning at 8:00 am. It was so cold, and we were in shorts and sandals because we were going straight to Zion's National Park before going to the Hotel. We didn't want to have to change.
We got down to Zion's and had some lunch at Grotto Park. The team had some team building activities and then a nice little speech by the head coach. After that we hopped onto the tram and headed up to the Narrows. Now people thought I was the crazies person in the world. Here I am, standing in waist deep water, which has a pretty strong current to it, holding a $4000 video camera.
Okay, it probably was a pretty crazy thing to do, but I got some really neat shots in the canyon.
All was going well until we were headed down the river to head back to the bus. I turned the camera on to let it record the trip down. I got to this spot where I'm standing in the picture, but going the other way, and stepped on a mossy rock and stumbled. I knew I was going down. Luckily, I had my "splash guard" trash bag set up. I slipped and went down. The camera went straight up. I rammed my knee against a rock somewhere under the dirty water, but the camera was safe and dry. When it comes to my video equipment, I value the camera more than my knee that that moment. It was pretty scary, but the entire time I had the biggest grin on my face. The best part is, I caught the entire thing on tape.
After our long day at Zion's, we finally went to our hotel. We ate dinner and watched the kids swim in the pool. Nothing else really happened, so we just went to bed. The next morning, we all felt the pain of the day before. I think just about everyone on the team took a spill while in the narrows. The first thing the team did was head over to a church building to have a 4 hour practice for their show they were going to perform later that night. During the practice, one of the girls stepped on her foot funny and ended up breaking her foot. She asked the only two Priesthood holders, Tiave (the JV coach) and I, to give her a blessing. It was a pretty neat experience. While the team was practicing, Tedi and I watched the new Indiana Jones movie. It was a pretty good movie.
That night, the team performed at the Tuachan Amphitheater. That was pretty neat. After their show, we watched the play Les Miserables. That was a really good performance done there. I've never seen it before, so it was pretty neat.
This was Tedi's favorite part of the whole trip. We didn't get done until 11:00 that night and didn't get back to the hotel until 12:00. We quickly ate some dinner and went to bed.
The next day we just drove home. The team played some games that only Ballroom Dancers would appreciate, but they were fun nonetheless. Overall, besides the lack of sleep, I think we had a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment